Let me start by stating some obvious facts:
- Search Engine Optimization is much more complex than it was 10 years ago
- The Penalties for bad SEO are much more severe today than they have ever been
- Offsite SEO still must exist for accurate organization of rankings.
What happened over the last decade is that a new billion dollar industry arose, online marketing, and out of that industry came SEO. The ability to move a site from invisible to visible without purchasing actual traffic. For a marketer, it’s the most ideal situation in the world. You rank high in the organic search rankings and without paying for a click you get free relevant visits to your website.
With SEO came skilled tacticians, they gamed the search engines, suddenly SEO wasn’t so pretty anymore and neither were the SERPs. Search rankings contained junk, sites that offered little or no value to the searchers. So Google began pushing updates to make the results more accurate and it became a tug of war. Many of these junk sites, whose motivations were usually based on the draw of easy money, improved their tactics and they would continually beat Google.
- The learning curve for new SEOs is too high
- The majority of bad SEOs that were gaming the system are leaving the game altogether
- Professional SEOs, the ones that are providing actual value are getting the best results ever